Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion. Empty
PostSubject: Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion.   Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 6:45 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion.   Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 6:44 pm

Can you give a synopsis, im time poor at moment but am also interested Wink

Cheers,

Den
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion.   Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 6:54 pm

No problemo...

It's a basically about the power of suggestion. He's saying that we can hear what we want to hear if we get the right stimulus. Much like an audio peradolia if you will. He uses the old stairway to heaven backwards play. You don't hear much at the start but after he give you the "sweet satan" lyrics that all you ever hear. Smile (I've seen Shermer do it before too).
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais

PostSubject: Re: Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion.   Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 7:11 pm

It is a fascinating area of study and I guess why Shermer's line of scepticism appeals to me the most. Thanks for posting the link Rob. When I get a moment I will watch it in its entirity.

Martial arts are riddled with people using the power of suggestion. Salam Witch trials I guess are another great case study of how the power of suggestion and mass hysteria worked together - almost like an out of control series of dominos! affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion.   Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 7:31 pm

Very tru!

That guy has a few interesting vids out on youtube. Amateur skeptic like myself except he's a few interesting ideas. Smile
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion.   Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 10:36 pm

Cheers Rob,

Dunning made a podcast of it also.

Never put yourself down Rob, we all have interesting ideas, you are getting your message out via this forum and anything else you do even the smallest contribution to bolstering scientific inquiry can help the fight against pseudoscience and deliberate fraudsters.

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion.   Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting vid... about the power of suggestion.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Undercover Sceptic :: Scepticism :: Science-
Jump to: