Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The cults of atheism

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais
Registration date : 2008-06-20

The cults of atheism Empty
PostSubject: The cults of atheism   The cults of atheism Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:51 am

Atheism appears to be a common area for today's sceptics - Dawkins being a militant example. I see myself veering close to it through my agnosticism, but my sceptical mind forces me to accept that it is not just fundamentalist religious types that can warp perceptions of reality.

Your views on the following atheist cults:

Objectivism - described by Michael Shermer (a once advocate who keeps a picture of its founder in his office) as a cult of personality.

La Veyan Satanism - Anton La Veye described his Church of Satan as Objectivism with rituals added.

Communism - A political ideal, but Ayn Rand said that Soviet Russia had its own type of mysticism. Under communist rule China's woo-woo side of martial arts flourished. In John Humphrys' argument for agnosticism "In God we Doubt" he contradicted the claim that religion was responsible for more death than any other ideal by stating the fact that far more deaths were committed in the name of communism during the 20th century than all the religions combined.

Please add and comment on others as you wish.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com

The cults of atheism
Page 1 of 1