Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Empty
PostSubject: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:31 pm

After watching Penn and Teller's "Abstinence" episode - I was pretty angry and a tad depressed.

It seems that the Abstinence group that go around preaching in some of Americas schools, and basicaly telling us not to have sex before marriage gets a mere billion dollars a year.

Money very poorly spent imo.

a) It doesn't work (people are people, you can't stop human nature).
b) There's no proof that it leads to a more fulfilling relationships.
c) There are much better places, and causes to be spending the tax dollar (Cancer, starving children, etc).
d) Surely it would be better to educate the kids on safe sex, and tell them the facts about wearing condoms (and how safe they actually are).
e) It's non of there 'effing business!

Now I've no problem with people waiting until there married - best of luck to them. If it works for you great. But it's not for me. So don't try and bleat to the rest of us. Grrrrr...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
tim

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 3:23 pm

Quote :
Now I've no problem with people waiting until there married - best of luck to them. If it works for you great. But it's not for me. So don't try and bleat to the rest of us
What are they in you or your kids school?

This seems to be mainly an American problem, as these type of religious issues tend to be. According to reports, levels of teenage pregnancy, STIs etc tend to be higher amoungst people taught 'abstinence only', but these people aren't likely to let little things like the facts get in the way of their principles! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 3:32 pm

tim wrote:
Quote :
Now I've no problem with people waiting until there married - best of luck to them. If it works for you great. But it's not for me. So don't try and bleat to the rest of us
What are they in you or your kids school?

I have no kids.... Remember when I say spending "your tax dollars" I'm not necessarily referring to our country per se. I'm referring mainly to the US. As far as I'm concerned it's still public funds being badly spent (no matter where they are).

Your a terrible man for semantics Tim... I don't see it as productive in any of your arguments. I've noticed you've been doing it a while now on a few different threads. Best keep semantics for other forums if you don't mind.

ta'.
Back to top Go down
tim

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 4:00 pm

Your post was written like somebody who from actual from the country in question; "telling us", "your tax dollar" etc, it just looks a bit odd coming from an Irish lad on a British forum, that's all. It's not important.

I agree with you, it is ridiculous, but I guess that's America for you!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 4:12 pm

tim wrote:
Your post was written like somebody who from actual from the country in question; "telling us", "your tax dollar" etc, it just looks a bit odd coming from an Irish lad on a British forum, that's all. It's not important.

Well, of course - but surely your just stating the obvious. What is your point in doing so? After all everyone here knows I'm from Ireland, and I also quoted P&T, which would surely indicate the location that I'm obviously talking about.

Sounds like your just trying to get a rise. Would that be correct?

Remember Tim, attendance here is not compulsory...
Back to top Go down
tim

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 4:46 pm

Jesus Rob you're making a bit deal of a single throw away comment. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:00 pm

Well, I'm starting to see a trend in your posts now, and I'm not the only one.
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:32 pm

Abstinence groups just like other groups are normally started by pople with far too much time on their hands that feel they hold the moral high ground.

At least if I am advocate against anything it's things that are either dangerous or down right lies.

That Billion dollars can and should be spent on far more productive areas but thats politics for ya.

Den.
Back to top Go down
tim

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:34 pm

Quote :
Well, I'm starting to see a trend in your posts now...
What trend would that be then?

Kinda like the ones where you posted on that religious section of "boards.ie" some time ago. You were banned weren't you?
Back to top Go down
tim

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:34 pm

Quote :
Abstinence groups just like other groups are normally started by pople with far too much time on their hands that feel they hold the moral high ground.

At least if I am advocate against anything it's things that are either dangerous or down right lies.

That Billion dollars can and should be spent on far more productive areas but thats politics for ya.

Den.
Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Den, good post.

Yep, far too much free time on their hands.

Also, it takes a certain type of person who feels the need to enter into other peoples lives and tell them what to do. I never quite understood that concept. There must be something severely lacking in their own lives.

I'm not too sure if I equate "religion", as the correct moral center, or it justifies people having the right to interfere.
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:49 pm

The religious moral thing I feel requires a whole thread of its own Wink

Den.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:51 pm

Very true.... Wink
Back to top Go down
tim

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:53 pm

Quote :
Kinda like the ones where you posted on that religious section of "boards.ie" some time ago. You were banned weren't you?
You popped that into my post instead of one of your own.

I have no idea to what you are referring to, I've never been banned from boards (or anywhere else) and I don't recall any posts that would have had me in trouble. What posts are you referring to?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:58 pm

Tim,

Ooops sorry - still getting used to this admin thing.

I'm referring to you posting on an islamic section of boards.ie apparently you were not very well received there. Is it true? Or was I misinformed?
Back to top Go down
tim

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 6:01 pm

Who told you that out of interest? Did you not see it yourself?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 6:11 pm

Well, I don't want to drag other people into it.

But I'm quite surprised you don't remember the thread where it came up yourself, and who informed us all, on the martial arts section of boards.

I have a very very long memory....
Back to top Go down
tim

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 6:14 pm

LOL @ my memory Very Happy

That sounds very vaguely familiar but I can't remember to be honest. Who posted that? Go on, refresh my memory.
I can't remember ever posting in the Islamic forum but maybe I did once or twice.
Back to top Go down
tim

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 6:29 pm

Did some digging.....

I presume this is what you are referring to:
Quote :
To elaborate. Tim and Judomick seemed genuinely surprised that others accused them of constant negativity. Tim used the analogy (I believe) that while he didn’t believe in god he was very interested in religion thus would discuss religion. On another thread Tim posted a cartoon that implied those who believed in creationism were mentally retarded, which kinda implies where Tims’ interest in religion lie’s. Now let’s stretch that analogy a bit and, seeing as Tim is interested in religion, he swings along to the Islam forum here on boards. Tim decides this would be a good place to turn threads on various topics into creationism/evolution debate’s and then finds himself banned from islam because the good folk there don’t see their board as being a place where they need to constantly explain/defend their beliefs and have written that into their charter. Now I’m not having a pop at Tim here (much ) the analogy is simply handy

This was a hypothetical scenario made up by the poster. I’ve never been involved in nay creationism/evolution debates on the Islamic forum.

I do however find it interesting that you notice trends between some posts here and some fictional posts that you never saw (what with them being fictional ) from a few years ago.
Smile

LOL at your response on the thread:
Quote :
That does not suprise me at all tbh.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Nice try, but not quite the one I was referring too...

Bye.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.   Religious kooks spending your tax dollars. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Religious kooks spending your tax dollars.
Page 1 of 1