Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Believers photography skills, or lack of.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Believers photography skills,  or lack of. Empty
PostSubject: Believers photography skills, or lack of.   Believers photography skills,  or lack of. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:08 am

I really wish some of these true believers would go on a photography course, as their photographs are always terrible...

I wonder why all their photos are always blurry or indistinct - is it just a coincidence? Or maybe bigfoot is just naturally blurry, just like UFO's and ghosts. Rolling Eyes

Crap photos a hoaxers delight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Believers photography skills, or lack of.   Believers photography skills,  or lack of. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:58 am

Rob,

Do you thin these people fake the photos or just take them Ad Hoc and are convinced they see something, Paredoilia?

Or is it a good mix of both?

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Believers photography skills, or lack of.   Believers photography skills,  or lack of. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 12:25 pm

Good point... I think the short answer is, all of the above.

Although, I see a lot of it as genuine mistakes and misreads - especially when you hear phrases like, "hey that wasn't in the photo". This really points out to some kind of natural artifact that often occurs with the medium.

It's also quite interesting to note that the bigger the flash the more ghostly effects you'll find. I remember hearing about that on the SGU podcast. They said that this was up on one of the major paranormal web sites. In fact the paranormalists recommended the ghost hunters to use an even bigger flash. In order to ger more ghosts.

However, it was being thoroughly laughed at by skeptics - so they took the phrase off their website. I can't remember who they were now - I'd have to listen to the podcast again. But I found it hilarious.

Technically the camera lens mimics the human eye - they are not designed to pick things up that we can't see. So it just goes to show when these things suddenly show up it's usually due to a flash effect, or human contamination, etc.

Cheers,

R.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais

PostSubject: Re: Believers photography skills, or lack of.   Believers photography skills,  or lack of. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:32 pm

It is amazing how much we want to believe. I am afraid to say that even good photographers are inclined to go all "woo woo" too given half the chance. Our wedding photos taken last year have already had two completley debunked suggestions of the appearance of an apparition.

The first came via the wedding photographer - yep you read that right! The photographer noticed a weird looking glare on the photo and then immediately went straight into a anecdote of an instance whereby he was convinced a mysterious entity had turned up on his film. He told the tale - as if it were a fresh urban legend - with faux scepticism, explaining why he wouldn't normally be convinced clown Nevertheless, within minutes he had to admit the "glare" on our photo was a printing error after all.

Over a year later the pictures appeared on Facebook and we received a phonecall from a certain in-law declaring her daughter had been freaked out by the sight of a mysterious woman ascending the steps in a photo picturing our four bridesmaids. The whole family - on her side were convinced and been chattering about it all morning is eerie amazment. We checked the photo and lo and behold... the "mysterious woman" was not a mistake on the film but an invited guest walking up the steps. They just didn't recognize her!
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Believers photography skills, or lack of.   Believers photography skills,  or lack of. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Hah... that's really wierd!

Occam's razor needed there me thinks. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Believers photography skills, or lack of.   Believers photography skills,  or lack of. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Hey,

Just in case there's any Ghost busters out there reading this (especially ones with really bad hats).

This is for you... It might help your lost cause.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0764550659/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Believers photography skills, or lack of.   Believers photography skills,  or lack of. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Believers photography skills, or lack of.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Undercover Sceptic :: Scepticism :: Scepticality-
Jump to: