Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

12 step is BS!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

12 step is BS! Empty
PostSubject: 12 step is BS!   12 step is BS! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 2:18 pm

On the surface, the 12 step program seems legitimate, and some what scientific. Book look closer...

You soon find out that they try to then shove God into the equation. Which is too bad if you don't believe in one. Or a different God for that matter. So now, you must pass all responsibility on to this "higher power". Thus showing you that you don't have the strength to do it your self.

What are the success rates of AA? (and the other 12 steps) A whopping 5%! The exact same, as is someone decides to quits by themselves. So what is the point??

Thanks to Penn and Teller for showing us the light. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais

12 step is BS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 step is BS!   12 step is BS! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 9:19 pm

That was a very interesting episode, as was the one about the boy scouts. It would appear that fundamentalist religion has hi-jacked two well-meaning causes in the same way that Animal Rights has hi-jacked the humane movement. The study of how ideologies get in the backdoor is a interesting area of investigation in its own right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.

12 step is BS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 step is BS!   12 step is BS! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 10:18 pm

Yeah, I'd totally agree. Dunno how they get away with it, with the whole "non-secular" aspect written in the constitution.

I was in the scouts for about 6 months when I was a kid. I hated every minute of it, as I'm a totally urban dweller. Very Happy But I always thought it was a good idea for kids if they were into it.

But does that whole religious edict effect the British Isles as well? I certainly hope not...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais

12 step is BS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 step is BS!   12 step is BS! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 3:04 pm

As a kid it wouldn't have been my scene either, but I think it is a great idea and it would be a great pity to see such religiosity finding its way in. I don't think it has done so in Britain and according to BS it made its way into the US later on.

My stepdaughter went on an overtly Christian outdoors thing called "Soul Survivor". She had a great time on both occasions and found the attempts to indoctrinate her to be most amusing. At the time I was very wary and since finding out what they got up (mass hysteria, discrediting agnostics, atheists and other religions) to years later I would have objected on her attending, but I have to admit it just goes to show that if you teach someone to have a strong sense of individuality the bullshit cannot penetrate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
Sponsored content

12 step is BS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 step is BS!   12 step is BS! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

12 step is BS!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Undercover Sceptic :: Scepticism :: Science-
Jump to: