Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Bruce Lee's Death

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Bruce Lee's Death Empty
PostSubject: Bruce Lee's Death   Bruce Lee's Death Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 11:42 am

Martial arts, of course, has a conspiracy theory all of its own and featuring its own celebrity. Bruce Lee's death is pretty much an open and closed case. However, because the verdict given is "Death by Misadventure" the hounds of speculation have never ceased. I have read some bizarre ideas given for how he was killed from a mystic curse to the Triads to the Dim Mak via disgruntled Chinese martial arts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Bruce Lee's Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bruce Lee's Death   Bruce Lee's Death Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Any chance of confirming his real death?

I read in a bio of his, 'Bruce Lee - Fighting Spirit' that it was via eating marijuana if I recall, been a while.

regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Bruce Lee's Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bruce Lee's Death   Bruce Lee's Death Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 1:54 pm

Dennis wrote:
Any chance of confirming his real death?

I read in a bio of his, 'Bruce Lee - Fighting Spirit' that it was via eating marijuana if I recall, been a while.

regards,

Den.

The verdict is still controversial, which gives undeserved attention to more bizarre theories like Triad involvement and mystical curses. I don't think the cannabis theory is likely. Here is the Wikipedia entry:

Quote :
A foreshadowing of events to come occurred on May 10, 1973 when Lee collapsed in Golden Harvest studios while doing dubbing work for Enter the Dragon. Suffering from full-body seizures and cerebral edema, he was immediately rushed to Hong Kong Baptist Hospital where doctors were able to reduce the swelling through the administration of Mannitol and revive him. These same symptoms that occurred in his first collapse were later repeated on the day of his death.[73]

On July 20, 1973, Lee was in Hong Kong, due to have dinner with former James Bond star George Lazenby, with whom he intended to make a film. According to Lee's wife Linda, Lee met producer Raymond Chow at 2 p.m. at home to discuss the making of the movie Game of Death. They worked until 4 p.m. and then drove together to the home of Lee's colleague Betty Ting Pei, a Taiwanese actress. The three went over the script at Pei's home, and then Chow left to attend a dinner meeting.

A short time later, Lee complained of a headache, and Ting Pei gave him an analgesic (painkiller), Equagesic, which contained both aspirin and a muscle relaxant. Around 7:30 p.m., he went to lie down for a nap. After Lee did not turn up for dinner, Chow came to the apartment but could not wake Lee up. A doctor was summoned, who spent ten minutes attempting to revive him before sending him by ambulance to Queen Elizabeth Hospital. However, Lee was dead by the time he reached the hospital. There was no visible external injury; however, his brain had swollen considerably, from 1,400 to 1,575 grams (a 13% increase). Lee was 32 years old. The only two substances found during the autopsy were Equagesic and trace amounts of cannabis. On October 15, 2005, Chow stated in an interview that Lee died from a hypersensitivity to the muscle relaxant in Equagesic, which he described as a common ingredient in painkillers. When the doctors announced Lee's death officially, it was ruled a "death by misadventure."

Dr. Langford, who treated Lee for his first collapse, stated after his death that, "There's not a question in my mind that cannabis should have been named as the presumptive cause of death."[74] He also believed that, "Equagesic was not at all involved in Bruce's first collapse."[75] Professor R.D. Teare, who had overseen over 100,000 autopsies, was the top expert assigned to the Lee case. Dr. Teare declared that the presence of cannabis was mere coincidence, and added that it would be "irresponsible and irrational" to say that it might have triggered Lee's death. His conclusion was that the death was caused by an acute cerebral edema due to a reaction to compounds present in the prescription pain killing drug Equagesic.[76] Dr. Peter Wu's preliminary opinion was that the cause of death could have been a reaction to cannabis and Equagesic. Dr. Wu would later back off from this position however:

"Professor Teare was a forensic scientist recommended by Scotland Yard; he was brought in as an expert on cannabis and we can't contradict his testimony. The dosage of cannabis is neither precise nor predictable, but I've never known of anyone dying simply from taking it."[77]
The exact details of Lee's death are a subject of controversy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Bruce Lee's Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bruce Lee's Death   Bruce Lee's Death Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 7:41 pm

Cheers Jamie,

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bruce Lee's Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bruce Lee's Death   Bruce Lee's Death Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bruce Lee's Death
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Undercover Sceptic :: Scepticism :: Martial arts-