Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Encyclopaedic Sceptic

Go down 
AuthorMessage
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Encyclopaedic Sceptic Empty
PostSubject: Encyclopaedic Sceptic   Encyclopaedic Sceptic Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Ok I know im no Michael Shermer, Im not going to take his crown any time soon, but do I really have to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of everything of a sceptical nature in my head.

I get blievers asking inane questions about new age, alternative, supernatural, paranormal etc.

They give me some anecdotal evidence some pseudoscience BS etc and ask me how to explain that away, right there, no time to think check accuracy of evidence etc.

I do manage to swipe these people away in general with some curt remark and even a scientific answer on occasion.

What im trying to fathom is how do I find a catch all answer to silence these belief critics?

Usually I just tell them to do a bit of research on the subject using scientific journals rather than books from the airport terminals.

For me I want in depth knowledge in one subject area and build up a general knowledge to work from in others.

For instance Rob is a UFO enthusiast, So I would field those questions via Rob! Pretty simple to me - stick to what you know and get broad base for the rest!

Any views on this?

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down

Encyclopaedic Sceptic
Page 1 of 1