Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Supersense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Supersense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable Empty
PostSubject: Supersense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable   Supersense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

This has GOT to be one for you, Den. It is all about belief, but tackles the topic from a totally different angle. Although the author is definitely in the modern sceptic camp he is not interested in debunking various systems of belief or putting a case against religion and the New Age movement. Instead his area of study is based on the theory that our brains are hardwired into believing in irrational things. In short the author, Bruce Hood, believes that if you dropped a bunch of young kids on a island they would develop their own religion.

What interests me is the issue regarding how humans try hard to pull reason and order out of chaos. "There are no atheists in the fox-holes" is a quote that speaks volumes about how the greater the stress level is on a society or an individual the higher the belief system or capacity to be superstitious:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supersense-Why-We-Believe-Unbelievable/dp/1849010307

The author was interviewed this week on both "Point of Inquiry" and "Start of the Week".
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Supersense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable   Supersense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 7:06 pm

I have them on my mp3 and will listen asap, although I have to say it has definately got my interest Smile

Be sceptical,

Den.
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Supersense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable   Supersense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Supersense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable   Supersense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Supersense: Why We Believe the Unbelievable
Page 1 of 1