Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Deconstructionism

Go down 
AuthorMessage
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Deconstructionism Empty
PostSubject: Deconstructionism   Deconstructionism Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 12:07 am

Deconstructionism

I received an email this very night from a fellow sceptic that is far more knowledgeable and eloquent than I. However like the best of us he stumbled and I was fortunate enough to be the person he looked to for advice on a prickly subject area.

The word 'Deconstructionism' was mentioned and tied in with Scepticism, a very true but deliciously naughty little puzzle to throw at someone as Deconstructionism is not that widely recognized as associated with the modern sceptic's movement. Suspect

Put quite simply Deconstruction and it's verb Deconstructionism was sometimes used pejoratively to suggest nihilism and frivolous skepticism.

I could imagine it as being used against the Solipsists or in fact anyone that took Skepticism to it's most extreme, which any of us could do if we so wish, see: 'here is a hand' argument.

So deconstructionism as scepticism, true but only in the sense of questioning another branch of skepticism by belittling. I would not personally classify deconstructionism as scepticism purely on the basis of belittling, there are better ways to hammer the nail than resorting to cheap flaming tricks as found on many forum boards, including that of many sceptic sites.

In popular usage the term has come to mean a critical dismantling of tradition and traditional modes of thought.

Which is the way I feel the description of Deconstruction should stay, the ties to scepticism at best were tenuous and in the past, we are in a new age of Scepticism, I feel a better one,

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down

Deconstructionism
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Undercover Sceptic :: Scepticism :: Articles-
Jump to: