Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What makes you a sceptic?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

What makes you a sceptic? Empty
PostSubject: What makes you a sceptic?   What makes you a sceptic? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 3:54 pm

Thanks to Jamie for suggesting this board,

now,

what makes you a sceptic?

For me I was inspired by Richard Dawkins to fight the tide of pseudoscience and promote real science, owever it was the mentalist Derren Brown that sparked my initial interest.

After reading his excellent book I looked at his recommended reading list and found Dawkins and others, and haven't looked back.

What about you guys?

Den.

Last edited by British Sceptic on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais
Registration date : 2008-06-20

What makes you a sceptic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What makes you a sceptic?   What makes you a sceptic? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 9:21 pm

Many strands led me to scepticism.

I was originally mildly inspired when I was 10 years old by the children's book "The Hamlyn Book of Facts and Fallacies". It interested me how myths and old wives tales could quickly become accepted as fact without much in the way of proof. I always liked mythology and that led me to urban legends, which heavily overlaps with scepticism.

I grew up on a circus, so it began to bug me when I saw people accepting obvious charlatanism I had already seen demonstrated for the sake of entertainment being used to sell religion, martial arts and so on.

I love history and criminology. As time went on my possibly obsessive personality led me to look more deeply into the various "factual" tales I had read. Once I started reading serious historical studies I began to notice how most historians had become debunkers.

Finally studying the more realistic side of martial arts combined with a desire to coach an individualistic method of combat led me to the approach of scientific scepticism.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com

What makes you a sceptic?
Page 1 of 1