Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

If there is a soul...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

If there is a soul... Empty
PostSubject: If there is a soul...   If there is a soul... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 2:10 pm

If there is a soul... why is it effected by dementia and other neurological problems?

Surely that proves that the soul does not exist. As we grow older our brains start to loose their function, this totally proves that conscious thought is linked to the workings of the brain (IE - electrical impulses, etc) and that conscious thought is no some proof that the soul exists as some intangible and esoteric concept.

Just my take anyway.

R.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: If there is a soul...   If there is a soul... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 3:28 pm

Kool,

never thought of that one,

Thanks,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: If there is a soul...   If there is a soul... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 7:54 pm

I was just wondering about it when I was reading a recent forum. The "troofer" was talking about how conscious thought represents the the soul, and therefore was definitive proof of God and the afterlife, etc.

But it just doesn't go with all our neuroscience ideas. Surely something like dementia proves the contrary?

Cheers,

R.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

PostSubject: Re: If there is a soul...   If there is a soul... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 8:26 pm

I think i mentioned it in my blog, theres 2 arguments, the science based, where mind is product of brain and if mind alters something physically thats ok because its a product of the brain.

Theres creationist that states a physical/mental separation, the mind is a different entity. I suppose the mind survives physical death which accounts for ressurection etc.

You decide!

Den
Back to top Go down
JonDonnis
Jnr Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: If there is a soul...   If there is a soul... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 1:25 am

Mediums have always answered my questions regarding this by stating that the mind is set free upon death and is allowed to reach its full potential without the physical limits of the brain.

However my argument has always been that without the physical limitations or disabilities of a brain the person ceases to be the same.

For example your grandmother who was forgetful, or even senile may have lived like that for 20 years, the way she is, is WHO she is, regardless of reasons.

If you remove the limitations or disabilities then if you spoke to your death grandmotehr she would be unrecognisable.

Mediums can never answer this.
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

PostSubject: Re: If there is a soul...   If there is a soul... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 2:54 pm

Excellent point Jon,

so do mediums simply ignore this point? I know when I ask a question people cant answer they get selective hearing, or sight in a forum.

Cheers,

Den
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If there is a soul...   If there is a soul... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If there is a soul...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Undercover Sceptic :: Scepticism :: Scepticality-
Jump to: