Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions. Empty
PostSubject: Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions.   Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Hey guys,

Do you think that we are reacting too rashly about this whole global warming thing? Obviously, we have to do something about it. But I just can't help feeling that people are just popping on a band aid, as opposed to thinking about real cost effective solutions. At times it seems to me that some of the lame ass strategies are done just in order to keep us peons happy.

In this very politically correct climate, are people rushing to poor and expensive solutions - that may not really make that big of a difference in the long run? Instead of actually sitting down, and really planning the best course of action. It's quite probable, in my opinion, that we may have to wait for decades before we have the correct technology and research to really make a big difference.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

R.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions.   Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 8:28 pm

Going all AH here for a bit, but don't often feel that those banging the environmental drum are all too often the same types we cross sceptical swords with Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions.   Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 8:36 pm

Yeah, I thought that too... or else they seem to be pushing through some hidden political agenda. Just wish they look at the facts fist... Sad
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions.   Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Quote :
or else they seem to be pushing through some hidden political agenda

Yes, I hate it when that happens. Just as certain brands of politics seem to hijack the environmental issues, animal rights hijack animal welfare and certain religious institutions feel like they have the monopoly on morals. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions.   Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 8:20 pm

Recently heard on a podcast, think it was a bbc science, not sure, new research has definately linked humans as cause of Icecaps melting if memory serves right. I should write as soon as I hear!).

To be honest I feel we must be a contributing factor in some way to global warming, look at all the chemicals given off by huge LCD tv's. Totally unregulated and 4X as damaging as those in fridges affraid

I also concede the fact the earth has cycles of hot and cold, historically, so maybe we are in a natural cycle, maybe its manmade, or maybe where in cycle and we are hurrying it along with our pollutants.

What I do know is there are loads of ideas and lots of talk on how to fix the problem, but very little if any real action.

Lets get the priorities right here, maybe it won't affect me, but theres a good chance it can affect my kids or grandchildren.

That does bother me, but I feel powerless, leavng there fate not just in the hands of scientists, but politicians trying to balance the books affraid

Its scientific politic thats stopping the action part, come on, lets get moving here for chrissake!

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions.   Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 1:18 pm

I agree with you there Den.

I get frustrated too, or feel powerless as you say. I see politicians looking for more votes... As opposed to looking at realistic solutions. Just look at some recycling.. it's totally impractical - but it's what voters want to hear about.

lets face it, they generally couldn't care less about anything, as long as those brown envelopes are getting through. Sad

And on the flip side, are the scientists who are still arguing if something is going wrong, and what is the best way to deal with it.

Gah! All they need to do is stop chasing votes, and Just give us some long and short term realistic and practical solutions. And stop all this obfuscation! Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions.   Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Global Warming and Knee jerk reactions.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Undercover Sceptic :: Scepticism :: Science-
Jump to: