Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend? Empty
PostSubject: Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?   Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 1:55 pm

I know this is a skeptical forum, but I thought it might be a good idea to list some of the really good guys out there. I'm not trying to advertise, but more just recomend some good reading and viewing to those who might be interested in realistic stuff from some of the best instructors around.

I've not had the opportunity to train with all of them, but I've been studying their work for quite some time.

Lee Morrison (obviously Smile) Lee has had more impression on me than anyone else. And it's a real privilege for me to one of his instructors (and student). I'd highly recommend all Lee's stuff, but to start out with: "Fight back" DVD and "On the SHarp Edge" DVD (in my opinion THE best counter knife concept that I've ever seen).

Some other great guys worth look out for!

Carl Cestari - OSC 1-5

Kelly McCann - Combatives series 1, 2 & 3.

Geoff Thompson - "Three Second Fighter", "The Fence" DVDs

Jamie O'Keefe - "Dogs Don't Know Kung Fu", "Human Stun Gun" DVD, Pre-emptive Strikes for Winning Fights (Book).

Den Martin

Simon Squires

Richard Dimitri - all his vids are great! "Get REAL" DVD set

Bob Spour - SAS Fight secrets

Southnarc - Practical Unarmed Combat DVD

Bill Kipp - ABCs of Self-Defense DVD

Nick Hughes - French Foreign Legion and Military Combatives series 1 - 6

Peter Consterdine - "Pavement Arena", Ultimate self-defense Seminar" DVDs, "Street Safe" Book.

Tony Blauer - "SPEAR ABC's" DVD

If anyone else has some ideas pop them in, so we can build up a good referance!

Last edited by Rob on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
tim

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?   Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:14 pm

The real deal at doing what?

Self Defence? Very hard to subjectively rate as the fast majority who 'train for self defence' will never need to use it, which of course makes you wonder why they are really training it in the first place, but that's probably a different thread.

For me, Matt Thornton's material has always been very good and improved my game quiet a lot, in an observable way. He's training methods and methodology (which I use all the time) as second to none, although many others do similar things, I've yet to come across anybody who thought out and explained the process better than him.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?   Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 2:22 pm

Hey Tim,

The guys I have listed are real world operators - so I think that they all would have something very valuable to offer the student. Most people will never have to test their SD skills as you said. But these guys have been there and done that, so they are talking from experience. Unlike 95% of Dojo boys who are just talking from the armchair.

That's not to say that they are the only good source of Self-protection. Feel free to post some of Matt's stuff or MMA stuff that could be applicable.

My goal with this thread is to provide a few good options for people who are looking for realistic stuff to train.

R.
Back to top Go down
tim

PostSubject: Re: Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?   Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi Rob,

Quote :
That's not to say that they are the only good source of Self-protection. Feel free to post some of Matt's stuff or MMA stuff that could be applicable.
Are you talking purely from a self protection/self defense point of view?

Quote :
The guys I have listed are real world operators - so I think that they all would have something very valuable to offer the student.
Considering that the vast majority of people will never need any form of self defence skills beyond common sense then I wouldn't take it as a given that these guys have much to offer a student. Bar guys working in security or other such professions where self protection material would obviously have more relevance.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?   Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Tim,

I'm just really putting forward Martial Arts, or artists, that have a realistic approach. It is not necessarily just for self-protection purposes. It could be for the ring also.

I don't really want to get hung up on the whole, "do students actually need self-defense in the first place" issue in this particular thread.

I saw it more as a resource for people to look at. That said, if you want to start another thread re. the whole SD issue feel free. As that would be open for a discussion.

Cheers,

R.
Back to top Go down
tim

PostSubject: Re: Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?   Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 6:30 pm

Quote :
I saw it more as a resource for people to look at. That said, if you want to start another thread re. the whole SD issue feel free.
I think I will do when I get the chance to do some typing.

Anyway, back on topic, Matt's functional JKD series 2 is excellent for somebody wanting to learn the fundamentals of ground fighting in particular, but also clinch range and some striking to a lesser degree, whatever ones motivations, sport, street or just fun. Those DVDs were basically my coach for my first few years of grappling.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?   Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 7:12 pm

[quote="tim"]
Quote :
Those DVDs were basically my coach for my first few years of grappling.

I wouldn't ind having a gander at them at some point.

Cheers,

R.
Back to top Go down
Craig
Jnr Member

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?   Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Hey Rob

Nice list there mate,
The only one I can add to it at this moment in time is " Fence Concepts " by Al Peasland
Very worthy addition to any dvd collection on self protection. showing the fence as it should be done. including colour coding, passive, aggressive, and pleading fence, and multiple attackers.

Well worth the investment.

Nice list there mate, some of which I already have
Others ill be sure to check out.

Thanks mate
Craig
Back to top Go down
http://selfdefence.darkbb.com/index.htm
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?   Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:16 pm

Good Choice Craig. Smile

I must pick up that DVD Al has out. I've only seen a few clips on youtube, but I've got to say I was very impressed.

Cheers,

R.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?   Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who is the real deal, and what would you recomend?
Page 1 of 1