Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced? Empty
PostSubject: What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced?   What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 6:48 pm

Big foot - I'd need to see a body, and then have the carcass examined by scientists.

Aliens visiting Earth - Much like BF I'd need to see and examine a body or space ship, etc. Or maybe if I saw a huge UFO hovering over my house. Smile

Ghosts - I'd need to see one on several occasions followed by a extensive investigation. A proper scientific one that is - that actually yielded some conclusive proof. As opposed to the "quasi science" that you often hear the ghost busters mention. Other than something like that I'd feel like I was being scammed.

Wacky alternative medicine - it would have to pass peer review, and stand up to several clinical trials (or phases) that produced demonstrable results (Note: the trials could not be one done by the same people who are trying to hock their wears).

Psychics - well, they'd just have to pass Randi's million dollar challenge. Smile

What else is there...?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced?   What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Id have to follow scientific method guidelines.

Write it up in a respected scientific journal, this normally means a peer reviewed, double-blind test which can be duplicated by other scientists.

Physical items such as bigfoot, aliens, ghosts scratch ,

again, written up in a respected medical journal, with everything bagged and tagged, allowing scientists worldwide access to the information.

Asking a lot but if you are making claims of extraordinary proportions...........

regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced?   What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 8:30 pm

Dennis wrote:
Asking a lot but if you are making claims of extraordinary proportions...........

Hey Den,

Totally agree with you there!

Cheers,

R.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced?   What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would it take you to believe in the paranormal? By that I mean, what evidence would you need in order to be convinced?
Page 1 of 1